Monday 16 May 2011

Flawless - Lara Chapman

Flawless – Lara Chapman

Pages: 255
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: 10th May 2011

Sarah Burke’s life is about to get complicated. She’s agreed to help her gorgeous best friend, Kirsten, catch the eye of the hot new guy at school, only to discover that he’s actually perfect for her! And to make matters worse, Sarah’s convinced that the guy of her dreams won’t be able to see past her unusually large nose.

Misguided matchmaking, hilarious escapades and genuine romance result in this sensational high school romcom.

Lara Chapman’s debut is a quick, cute read that’s perfect for sitting out in the sun with.

I’m a big fan of the original Cyrano de Bergerac story and I loved the other retelling I’ve read of the story, Cyrano by Geraldine McCaughrean, so I was really looking forward to seeing how it would work with a girl as Cyrano and set in the modern world. I thought it worked brilliantly well and was so natural that you’d be able to read it without knowing the original story and not lose anything at all.

One of the things that I enjoyed most about Flawless, other than the swoon-worthy Rock and the quirky, choke-on-your-drink humour, was the quotes that headed each chapter. Each one was a famous quote from Aristotle to Byron to Sir Francis Bacon about the nature and qualities of beauty that perfectly reflected the contents of the chapter. I really do love it when authors do that!

I have to admit though, that some of the passages and events made me cringe a little. There were some things I knew instantly would backfire and some particularly stupid things said by Kirsten that seemed to stretch believability a little too much for me. Other than that small issue, I really don't have any complaints.

Flawless is a thoroughly enjoyable read with a very happy and satisfying ending.

For my 2011 Debut Author Challenge

Sophie

2 comments:

  1. Interesting take on a classic. I'll have to see if our library has it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a really fun read and I shall definitely look out for it :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!