Thursday 1 May 2014

Book Quiz: First Line Fever!


Today I’ve got something a little different for you: a book quiz! Below are 12 openings to YA novels - old and new, popular and lesser known - and I want you to guess them! It’s all fun so no cheating and put your answers in the comments. Good luck!

‘lugh got borned first. On Midwinter day when the sunhangs low in the sky.’

‘I saw her before she saw me. It was better that way.’

‘Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is lie.’

The first time I notice the new inmate is when we’re all lined up outside our cells for morning headcount.’

            ‘The goat was in the tree again.’

‘I’ve been locked up for 264 days.’

‘The demon exploded in a shower of ichor and guts.’

‘There’s these two kids, boys, sitting close together, squished in by the big arms of an old chair. You’re the one on the left.’

‘Have you ever noticed you’re noticing?’

‘It had been the worst night in the history of the world ever ever ever.’

‘Here is the boy, drowning.’

‘Once Upon a Time, the North Wind said to the Polar Bear King, steal me a daughter and when she grows, she will be your bride.’

How did you do?

Edited to add: Now you've had a day to mull over the lines and take some guesses, here are the answers! Ignore this if you still haven't had a go!

1. Blood Red Road, Moira Young
2. A Kiss in the Dark, Cat Clarke
3. The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot
4. ACID, Emma Pass
5. Texas Gothic, Rosemary Clement Moore
6. Shatter Me, Tahereh Mafi
7. Half Bad, Sally Green
8. Ice, Sarah Beth Durst
9. Clockwork Angel, Cassandra Clare
10. Dead Romantic, CJ Skuse
11. More Than This, Patrick Ness
12.  Darcy Burdock, Laura Dockrill

How many did you guess right?

Sophie

3 comments:

  1. Ooh. I got 6 that I'm fairly confident about. The rest are BUGGING ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy hell, I think I know, like, two and some look annoyingly familiar but I can't get them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got Shatter Me and Clockwork Angel, but those are the only two books I've read from the list, so I guess I did pretty well!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!