Wednesday 30 October 2013

The Chronicles of Narmo - Caitlin Moran


Pages: 162
Publisher: Corgi Childrens
Release Date: 16th October 2013
Edition: e-proof
Source: NetGalley

Other Titles by this Author: How to Be a Woman, Moranthology

Fifteen-year-old Morag Narmo objects on principle to go to school anymore. But she is stunned when her parents agree to get her leave (though probably on the dubious grounds that they don't ever again want to buy her another totally gross size 18 blazer). Not only that, but they whisk the whole family out of school (a potential saving of numerous blazers). And so the year begins...

But with five children, two struggling parents and a pair of dogs that resemble walking sofas, the Narmo family give a whole new meaning to the word ‘education’. Even simple things like going out for the day take on a whole new dimension of People Being Confused...

I’ve had How to be a Woman on my shelf for over a year and have been meaning to finally read Caitlin Moran for even longer so when her first novel (written at 15!!) popped up on NetGalley, I requested it straight away!

By about halfway through the author’s note, I was in love with Caitlin Moran’s writing. The confidence, flair and humour is right up my street and I vowed to read How to Be a Woman in the next month. Then The Chronicles of Narmo began and I fell in love with Morag too.

Each of the five Narmo siblings and their parents are vibrant and distinct and so well characterised that I felt like I’d known each of them for years and years. In such a short novel I was really impressed with how vividly they came across, and so instantaneously too. She’s a talented woman, that Caitlin Moran.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Chronicles of Narmo, I just wish it would be a little longer! And now for How to Be a Woman.

Thanks to RHCP and NetGalley for the review copy.

Sophie

1 comment:

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!