Sunday 16 December 2012

In My Mailbox 141


This meme was started by Kristi of The Story Siren who was inspired by Alea from Pop Culture Junkie. Check out their blogs for more information. All summaries are from the book jackets unless otherwise stated.

From my lovely secret Santa:

Wild Roses – Deb Caletti

Here is something you need to know about me. I’m not a Hallmark card, ooh ah romance, Valentine-y love kind of person...

When Cassie meets her stepfather’s latest protégé she is irresistibly attracted to the boy on a bike with a dog called Rocket.

Ian Waters is a musical genius, like Cassie’s stepfather, Dino Cavalli. He is talented, gorgeous and funny, and Cassie’s starry-eyed and swept away. But she knows if Dino finds out the sky might as well fall in...

A bittersweet, star-spangled, completely compelling tale from the author of Honey, Baby, Sweetheart.

I’ve been meaning to read more Deb Caletti for years so I’m really chuffed with this!

Shatter Me – Tahereh Mafi

I have a curse.
I have a gift.

I’m a monster.
I’m more than human.

My touch is lethal.
My touch is power.

I am their weapon.
I will fight back.

No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she’s finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time – and to find a future with the one boy she thought she’d lost forever.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a riveting dystopian world, a thrilling superhero story and an unforgettable heroine.

Yes! I’ve been after this one for so long I can’t even remember! Thank you, Sya!

For review:

Paper Valentine – Brenna Yovanoff

Hannah’s best friend, Lillian, starved herself to death six months ago, and Hannah’s been haunted by her ever since. But now Lillian’s ghost has an urgent task for Hannah – someone is killing girls in their suburban neighbourhood, and the victims want justice. Drawn into a world of ghost girls and horrifying secrets, Hannah slowly pieces the clues together, starting with the child-like paper valentines the killer leaves on each body. But her investigations are bringing her into the Valentine Killer’s orbit. How long before he strikes again?

REALLY looking forward to this! And isn’t the cover stunning? Thanks S&S!

Survive – Alex Morel

‘Are you okay?’ he says again, wanting to move on.
‘I should be dead.’
‘I understand.’
‘No you don’t. I tried to kill myself last night, in the bathroom, before the plane crashed. That’s why I survived.’

Jane is headed home to New Jersey. She has been given leave from the mental hospital where she’s been living for the past year. What no one knows is that she’s going to swallow a lethal dose of pills before she gets there. Then the plane shudders and everything goes black...For the first time, Jane has to fight for her life.

Ooh, this sounds good! Thanks Electric Monkey!

I missed a parcel last week and only managed to pick it up on Thursday. I had three lovely proofs from Walker!

Black Spring – Alison Croggon

An evocative reimagining of Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë’s timeless tale of doomed love.

When Oskar Hammel seeks refuge in the grim Northern Plateau, he discovers a patriarchal society where vendetta holds sway and wizards enforce the code of blood and vengeance.

Through a shocking encounter with the brooding Damek and his wilful young wife, Lina, Hammel uncovers a story of destructive longing and possessive desire beyond his bleakest imaginings.

I’m officially intrigued...

Hidden Among Us – Katy Moran

When Lissy meets a mysterious and strangely beautiful boy on her way to Hopesay Edge, she is deeply unsettled by their encounter.

She discovers that the boy, Larkspur, is a member of the Hidden, and ancient group of eleven people, whose secrets lie buried at Hopesay Reach. Before long, Lissy and her brother Rafe find themselves caught by a powerful magic and fighting to escape a bargain that can never be broken...

OMG! Is This Actually My Life? – Rae Earl

Hattie Moore’s OFFICIAL secret diary

Fourteen-year-old Hattie Moore doesn’t actually know who her dad is – but that’s the least of her problems. How can she become a TOTAL HOTNESS GODDESS when Miss Gorgeous Knickers at school hates her and no one fancies her because she has no breasts? And her family are an actual nightmare. Her unbelievably annoying brother is EVIL and on top of that, her gran is a TOTAL mental, who may be texting rude jokes to just about EVERYONE in the world. Including her dentist.

Hattie’s diary of this tumultuous year s an absolutely hilarious account of the ups and downs of teenage life, including a dating bogey phobia, near death from biscotti and a home-made breast-growing machine.

This is bit younger than I usually read, but it sounds fantastic. Can’t wait to dive in!

Requiem – Lauren Oliver

From Goodreads: It is the rule of the Wilds.

You must be bigger, stronger, and tougher.

A coldness radiates through me, a solid wall that is growing, piece by piece, in my chest. He doesn’t love me.

He never loved me.

It was all a lie.

‘The old Lena is dead’ I say, and then push past him. Each step is more difficult than the last; the heaviness fills me and turns my limbs to stone.

You must hurt, or be hurt.

Lena can build the walls, but what if there’s no one left to take them down? The powerful, heartbreaking conclusion to one of the most eagerly-awaited, talked-about series is here.

I have to confess that I haven’t read any of this trilogy yet. I really need to get on that. Thanks Hodder!

Sophie

5 comments:

  1. I've heard that Wild Roses is one of the better of Deb Caletti's books. I've only read one so far but I've got like 3 more on my shelf! Hope you enjoy it. I didn't like Shatter Me as much as everyone else but it's still a good read and that new cover is heaps better!

    That cover for Paper Valentine is STRIKING. I like the way the black background is filled in with text in that font. I want to read this one too! I read Survive. I couldn't put it down. Black Spring sounds good. I can't wait for Requiem to come out in Australia!

    Hope you enjoy your new books. :)

    Check out what I got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHATTER ME!!! Love that book and I can't wait to hear your thoughts about it! Dying to read Requiem but I'm also a little scared LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shatter Me is AH-MAZING. Sophie, you are going to love it so much ahhhhhhhhhhh! Adam = <3

    Black Spring looks very interesting, and the cover is pretty cool :)

    I have't read the Delirium trilogy either! I think I have like, three copies of each of the editions of Delirium but I still haven't gotten around to it, haha. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new header! Is it new? I'm sure it's new. I got Requiem too, I literally just remembered opening it yesterday in a rum fuelled haze. Rum :). Looooooove xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you love Lauren Oliver's trilogy as much as I do! It's so amazing! Black Spring looks fantastic---I'll have to look that one up!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!