Sunday 5 February 2012

In My Mailbox 105


This meme was started by the fabulous Kristi who was inspired by Alea. Check out their blogs for more information. All summaries are from the book jackets unless otherwise stated.

Sorry I haven’t done an IMM in a while; Contemp YA Month kind of took over! But now it’s all done, I’m back with the books I’ve received in the last two weeks. I was going to do what I got in January, but I didn't keep track.

For Review:

Choker – Elizabeth Woods

Cara has always felt like an outsider, and since she moved away from her best and only friend, Zoe, she feels more alone than ever. Cara spends her time avoiding the popular girls who call her ‘choker’ following a humiliating lunchroom  incident, and wishingn that gorgeous Ethan Gray would finally notice her. Then one day, Cara comes home and finds Zoe waiting for her. With the best friend back, Cara’s life changes overnight, and with a new look and new found confidence, her personality soars.

But when a girl goes missing and everyone comes under suspicion, Cara’s new life starts to unravel. Worse still, Zoe is behaving very strangely, and Cara begins to wonder exactly what her friend does all day while she’s at school. You’re supposed to trust your best frend no matter what, but what if she turns into a total stranger?

A 2012 debut! Thanks, S&S!

Spellbound: A Hex Hall Novel – Rachel Hawkins

Sometimes Sophie Mercer wishes she could go back to before she started at Hex Hall, the school for magical Prodigium. In one year she’s gone from average-girl-next-door to discovering that she’s a demon with extraordinary powers. And, just as she is starting to get her head around that, the Prodigium Council strip away her magic and kidnap her friends, leaving her defenceless and alone.

Now, stranded at the mercy of the Brannicks, a fsmily of warrior women who want to destroy all Prodigium, Sophie could really use a little magical help. But the Brannicks have a few revelations of their own, and Sophie’s world is turned upside down...again.

Can Sophie find her friends, regain her powers and take on the bad guys and win? Or will this final battle be one step too far?

So, so excited for this! I really love this series. Thanks, S&S!

Lenobia’sVow: A House of Night Novella – PC and Kristin Cast

“Elle est morte!” She is dead.
Lenobia’s world exploded with the sound of a scream and three small words. She would never forget the feeling of dread that engulfed her.

Before becmoing Zoey’s favourite professor and the House of Night’s powerful horse mistress, Lenobia was just a normal 16-year-old girl – but with enough problems to last a lifetime.

In 1788, Lenobia’s mother placed her on a ship bound for New Orleans. An evil bishop, skilled in Dark magic, is making the same journey. His appetite for beautiful young women forces Lenobia to remain hidden, but she secrety visits the ship’s stables, where a handsome young man and his horses capture her attention.

Can they make it to the New World before the bishop discovers her true identity and a powerful evil breaks loose? And will Lenobia follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk?

Thanks Atom. I have to admit that I gave up on this series after book two so I’ll be giving t to my little sister instead.

Bought:

It’s Not Summer Without You – Jenny Han

Is it really summer without the beach?
Or the boys?

After spending every single summer at Cousins Beach, Belly’s life is about to change. Since her brief relationship with Conrad fizzled out last winter, she’ll be staying home for the first time. Her best friend, Taylor, has lots of plans for them – boat parties and tanning by the pool and new boys to obsess over. But when Jeremiah calls and says that Conrad has disappeared, all roads seem to lead back to the beach house. Will Belly spend another summer chasing after Conrad, or will she finally be able to let him go?

So much love for this series. I’ve already read and reviewed this one.

Nine Uses for an Ex-Boyfriend – Sarra Manning

Hope Delafield hasnt always had an easy life.

She has red hair and a temper to match, as her mother is constantly reminding her. She can’t wear heels, is terrified of heights and being a primary school teacher isn’t exactly the job she dreamed of doing, especially when her class are stuck on the two times table.

At least Hope has Jack, and jack is the God of boyfriends. He’s sweet, kind, funny, has a killer smile, a cool job on a fashion magazine and he’s pretty (but in a manly way). Hope knew that Jack was the one ever since their first kiss after the Youth Club disco and thirteen years later, they’re still totally in love. Totally. And then Hope catches Jack kissing her best friend Susie...

Does true love forgive and forget?
Or does it get mad...and get even?

I love Sarra’s YA so much, but I haven’t gotten around to any of her adult novels yet. Even though I own them all...

Won:

Beauty Queens – Libba Bray

Survival of the fittest.

The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream Beauty Pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What’s abeauty queen to do? Continue to practise for the talent portion of the program – or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan – or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy purates should show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz-Award winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.]

I won this from Sally’s 1st blogoversary contest and I’m very excited about it. I’ve heard endlessly brilliant things about it.

Sophie

13 comments:

  1. I like the look of a lot of your books this week. I am currently reading Nine Uses for an Ex Boyfriend. I help you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nine Uses for an Ex Boyfriend sounds interesting ;P

    Happy Reading!
    In My Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got Choker too and I think it sounds fab.

    Enjoy your books, Great IMM! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books, I've heard a lot about Beauty Queens and yay for Jenny Han! Happy reading, Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally jealous of the Spellbound ARC! I'm a new follower so that I can see your review of it! Great IMM!

    Here's my IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nine Uses sounds brilliant - can't wait to find out what you think! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Choker looks just like my sort of thing. I look forward to seeing your review. Beauty Queens is on my wish list, so I'm very jealous that you won a copy of that! Hope they're all amazing :)

    Drop by and visit me soon,
    Stephanie @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Choker looks very intriguing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books this week! I love the Summer series by Jenny Han so I hope that you enjoy It's Not Summer Without You!

    Happy reading!

    You can check out my IMM HERE!

    Claire :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of great books there! I need to go out this week and buy the new Sarra Manning, I'm very excited! I have Beauty Queens as well, but it's been languishing on my shelves for awhile..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for Beauty Queens! I really hope you enjoy it after how much I raved about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got Choker as well, I can't wait to read it! And I also LOVE Jenny Han's books, they are so good!!! x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!