Thursday 12 January 2012

Contemp YA Month: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E Smith



The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight – Jennifer E. Smith

Pages: 215 (ARC)
Publisher: Headline
Release Date: 5th January 2012

Ever wondered about the probability of falling in love at first sight? Two people are about to find out...

Meet Hadley. She’s feisty, and romantic, yet vulnerable. She’s also about to miss the flight from New York to London for her father’s wedding to a woman Hadley’s never met.

Meet Oliver. He’s sensitive, witty and charming. He has his own reasons for not wanting to fly home to London.

They’re about to embark on the flight of their lives.

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight has received a ridiculous amount of praise from the blogosphere in the months leading up to its release and for good reason – it’s awesome.

I was expecting a light, fluffy and heart-warming read with TSPOLAFS and that’s what I got, but with something I didn't actually expect: a little depth. There was deep, emotional family drama and all of the confusion, anger and resentment that comes with that which I wasn’t anticipating. It was a lovely surprise that added strength to the characters. And they were already pretty damn cool characters.

Oliver is absolutely adorable: scruffy, funny, witty and clever (he goes to Yale!). Hadley is spunky and full of life and I’d love to be her friend. They suited each other brilliantly and made a perfect couple – I was cheering them on from the second Oliver offered to watch her bag. Although they did have a kind of insta-love, it was the very best kind because I believed it.

After making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight made me want to jump on a long-haul flight to anywhere to meet an Oliver. A beautiful and uplifting read that will make you grin like an idiot.


Sophie

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good - another book for me to steal! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on millions of flights during my life. Completely unfair that I've never met the guy of my dreams on one! Lucky Hadley. ;-P

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!