Friday 13 January 2012

Contemp YA Month: Luisa Plaja's Top 5 Recent Favourites



Today I’m honoured to welcome Luisa Plaja, author, blogger and general superstar of the blogosphere. Thanks, Luisa!

5 Recent Favourite Contemp Reads
by Luisa Plaja http://www.luisaplaja.com

It’s no secret that I am a huge fan of the so-called lighter side of contemporary teen fiction. I love reading realistic coming-of-age tales. I always enjoy seeing characters sorting out their issues, making friends and building relationships. I love romance. And the best stories of all for me are the ones that show all this and also manage to make me laugh.

I have far too many favourites to mention, so instead I’m going to list the last few contemporary novels I enjoyed. I recommend them all!

Fringe Girl, and Fringe Girl in Love by Valerie Frankel
These books are full of strong, funny and quirky characters. The storyline of the first one is irresistible, with Dora endeavouring to start a social revolution at her school.  I particularly enjoyed reading about Dora’s embarrassing, loving parents.

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
This story of friendship, art and love is just beautiful in every way, as well as being realistic and moving. I urge everybody to read it!

10 Things We Shouldn’t Have Done by Sarah Mlynowski
Here’s a story that grabs you immediately – you can’t help but be drawn in by the characters and their intriguing situation from the very first page.

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott
Elizabeth Scott is brilliant at writing realistic family and friendship drama as well as deep, swoonworthy romantic connections. This book is no exception.

Waiting For You by Susane Colasanti
All the Susane Colasanti books I’ve read have featured great relationships that develop slowly and meaningfully over a long period of time. Her stories are always absorbing and this particular one really evokes that feeling of just waiting for something amazing to happen…

The Boyfriend Thief by Shana Norris
This is a moving, funny and romantic story that stayed with me long after I finished it.
There are so many more contemporary novels I love – I could go on all day! And I’m always looking for more, if anyone has any recommendations…

Thank you very much for having me on So Many Books, So Little Time, Sophie!

My pleasure, Luisa. 

Sophie

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I haven't read any of these. I must rectify this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy them if you do track them down, Viv!

    Thanks very much again, Sophie. I love Contemp YA Month - as much as I love Contemp YA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo I have a few of these on my wishlist and have read 10 things and loved it! I think I might have to get some more read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I've not heard much about Fringe Girl or The Boyfriend Thief, so I shall look out for them, thanks!

    I adore Susane Colasanti and Elizabeth Scott! And Graffiti Moon is by far my favourite book I've read in the last few months :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!