Wednesday, 4 August 2010

iBoy - Kevin Brooks

iBoy - Kevin Brooks

Pages: 290
Publisher: Puffin/Penguin
Release Date: 1st July 2010

Other Titles by this Author: Lucas, Candy, Martyn Pig, Black Rabbit Summer, Killing God, Being, Kissing the Rain, Bloodline, The Road of the Dead

Before the attack, sixteen-year-old Tom Harvey was just an ordinary boy.

But now fragments of a shattered iPhone are embedded in his brain and it’s having an extraordinary effect…

Because Tom now has powers. The ability to know and see more than he could ever imagine. And with incredible power come knowledge - and a choice. Seek revenge on the violent gangs that rule his estate and assaulted his friend Lucy, or keep quiet?

Tom has control when everything else is out of control. But it’s a dangerous price to pay. And the consequences are terrifying…

I see Kevin Brooks as one of the best YA authors from the UK so I had high expectations for iBoy. I wasn’t disappointed.

Like all of Kevin Brooks’ books, iBoy is gritty and real. Tom’s life on a notorious South London estate isn’t sugar-coated in the slightest. All of the elements of living on a gang-ruled estate are represented - drugs, prostitution, verbal abuse and excessive violence. Thankfully, I’ve never experienced this life myself, but I feel like I’d know what to expect from it. And it’s not a life I’d ever like to live.

With bits of the thrown iPhone embedded in Tom’s brain, he’s imbued with its powers. He can make calls, send texts, use wifi internet and hack any database in his head with thought alone. But as Spiderman said (well, I think it was Spiderman, anyway), “With great power comes great responsibility.” And with his new found powers, Tom took it upon himself to wreak revenge on his friend’s attackers as iBoy.

As the novel progressed, Tom began to lose himself. He constantly questioned whether what he was doing was right or wrong. There was also the fear that he may be lowering himself to the levels of the gangs he was punishing. All of these recurring ideas were strengthened in the facts, quotes and definitions at the beginning of each chapter, which, incidentally, were numbered according to the binary system that was explained, but I still don’t understand.

I thoroughly enjoyed iBoy and it made me want to re-read my favourite Kevin Brooks novel, Lucas.

For my 2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

20 comments:

  1. Oooh sounds intriguing. Great review XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting concept and it sound like it was well executed. I think this is a book that I would great enjoyed. Thanks for the lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review. I'm pretty undecided about Kevin Brooks, some of his books I really enjoy and get, like Martyn Pig, Lucas and Candy, where and some I don't. I couldn't finish Black Rabbit Summer, for example. But I think I'll try this one, because it has been getting good reviews and I think he is a very talented YA author, even if I don't always enjoy his writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've been introduced to his books. I'm going to check him out thanks to your review. Thanks for sharing his works with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one yet, but I can't wait. I love Kevin Brooks! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been meaning to read this book but wasn't totally sure until I read your wonderful review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds cool. I haven't read anything about this author but since you say he's one of the best YA authors from the uk, I might read this one. A new superhero^^

    Silvia^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how gritty and real this one sounds. Excellent review Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of this one. It sounds pretty interesting! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh this sounds really good!
    I love Kevin Brooks, Candy and Being have to be my favourite books by him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read this book, and other books by Kevin Brooks. He seems like an author that I'd really love. Have only read one of his books, but I'm looking out for the others. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen so many good reviews of this Kevin Brooks title and I have a copy myself but just haven't got round to reading it. Great review Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like this book it's so cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i was lost with no hope for my husband was cheating and had always got away with it because i did not know how or always too scared to pin anything on him.
    with the help a friend who recommended me to cyberappshacker who help hack his phone, email, chat, sms and expose him for a cheater he is.
    I just want to say a big thank you to cyberappshacker@gmail.com. he understands how i felt and guided me every step. tell him from me..........

    ReplyDelete
  15. Help me thank cyberappshacker after being scammed of $1500 he helped me find my cheating husband he helped hack his whatsapp gmail and kik and i got to know that he was cheating on me , in less than 24 hours he helped me out with everything cyberappshacker is trust worthy and affordable contact cyberappshacker@gmail.com ,or
    text+1 321-296-8496

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello everyone! If you require the service of a professional hacker to help track your partner's cell phone remotely, contact deadlyhacker01@gmail.com, he helped me hack my husband's phone without physical contact.
    You can also reach him on +1 513-445-5445
    Tell him Stacey referred you, he'd help

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello friends U Need Any Help on hacking for the following try cyberhacklove@gmail.com i have used him so many times and he never fails me he is the best hacker i have ever employed . Thank me later.*Cheating Spouse *University grades changing *Bank accounts hack *Twitters hack *email accounts hack *Grade Changes hack *Website crashed hack *server crashed hack *Retrieval of lost file/documents *Erase criminal records hack *Databases hack *Sales of Dumps cards of all kinds *Untraceable Ip *Individual computers hack *Websites hack *Facebook hack *Control devices remotely hack *Burner Numbers hack *Verified Paypal Accounts hack *Any social media account hack *Android & iPhone Hack *Word Press Blogs hack *Text message interception hack *email interception hack contact: cyberhacklove@gmail.com contact:+16066579237

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello everyone, my name is Kate and I want to recommend a reliable hacker who helped hack my husband's cell phone remotely.

    Which gave me full access to all his texts and, and now he has nothing to hide from me. If you require his service, contact ghosthacker2351@gmail.com, tell him Kate referred you he'll help.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cyberhackinglord is the real hacker out there, please be careful of imposters. they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not. i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful. if you need an hacker mail (cyberhackinglord@gmail.com), they work effectively, i can testify to that. mail them today and you will get your work done or text +13047160075.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent and professional investigative services. I hired him (CYBERHACKPROS@GMAIL.COM) for a very private and difficult matter of hacking my spouse phone, and he far exceeded my expectations. He helped me get the info(whatsapp, facebook, text messages, call logs etc) I needed faster and cheaper than I had imagined. The first time we spoke, we had a very long phone consultation in which he gave me all my options that he could think of to resolve my case, and he even recommended I try other options before hiring him, which shows that he is honest. I decided to hire him and I am glad I did. He is a fantastic investigator and a great person and if you have a dishonest partner don’t hesitate to send him a mail Contact:CYBERHACKPROS@GMAIL.COM or +1 916 378 4978

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!