Friday 4 December 2009

Demon Princess: Reign or Shine - Michelle Rowen

Demon Princess: Reign or Shine - Michelle Rowen

Pages: 274
Publisher: Walker Books
Release Date: 29th September 2009

Other Titles by this Author: Immortality Bites series, Warner Forever series

For Nikki Donovan, being a teenage can be hell. Literally.

As if trying to fit in at a new school and navigating the social scene isn’t enough stress for her, sixteen-year-old Nikki Donovan just found out that her long-lost father is, in fact, the demon king of the Shadowlands - the world that separates and protects us from the Underworld. When she is brought there by a mysterious - and surprisingly cute - messenger Michael she learns that he father is dying, and that he wants her to assume the throne. To complicate matters, a war is brewing between the Shadowlands and the Underworld, her half-demon qualities are manifesting, and her growing feelings for Michael are forbidden. Ruling a kingdom, navigating a secret crush, and still making it home by curfew - what’s a teenage demon princess to do?

Demon Princess: Reign or Shine is a cute, fun and unexpectedly brilliant read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Michelle Rowen crafted a tale full of excellent and likeable characters. Nikki is brave and stubborn and yet still manages to represent a loving and confused sixteen-year-old girl. Michael is so sweet and protective of Nikki. But he also has the mysterious thing going on and brings one of my favourite story elements to Demon Princess: forbidden love. In addition, you’ve got perfect popular Chris, insecure best friend Melinda and Nikki’s dad who she got totally wrong.

I also loved all of the magical elements in Demon Princess. The idea of the Shadowlands lying between the human realm and the Underworld and Hell and preventing the evil from passing through is genius. And the variety of creatures covers the favourites of every fantasy fan.

Towards the end of the novel, lots of possible new storylines were laid down that could be picked up later on in the series. I’m especially looking forward to learning more about Melinda, finding out how Nikki and Michael will work their relationship and, hopefully, seeing a lot more of Rhys.

The first instalment of the Demon Princess series has made me very excited for what I’m sure will be a great set of books and I’m eagerly awaiting the second book, Demon Princess: Reign Check, when it’s released next June.

Sophie

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! I haven't heard that much about this book but your review makes me want to pick it up. It sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review! I have seen this book around. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review - I haven't read anything by this author, but I'm really liking the sound of this one. I'm a sucker for forbidden love too, and this also sounds pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your review! I have this in my TBR pile and looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!