Thursday, 13 July 2017

Books I Couldn't Finish (14): The Girl on the Train, Good Me Bad Me & My Cousin Rachel

I used to finish every book I started, whether I was enjoying it or not. But life is short. I’ve realised that I don’t have time for books I’m not fully involved in any longer so if I don’t like something or don’t connect with it as much as I want to, I’ll put it aside. It still makes me feel guilty though, especially if I received them for review so I still want to talk about them, explain why I didn’t like them. Here are the most recent books I DNF-ed.

The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins
This is one of the most hyped books of the last few years and I eventually caved in to the pressure, but I was totally unmoved by it. I was so surprised by how slow this was. SO SLOW. I got so frustrated that I ended up Googling what happened so I could DNF it and be done. Whoops. I really, really wanted to like this and buy in to the hype, mostly so I could watch the film, but I think I'll just watch the film instead.




Good Me, Bad Me, Ali Land
After reading and loving CJ Skuse’s Sweetpea I was desperate for something similar, and sadly this wasn’t. I was suitably horrified by the things going on, but I also felt no compulsion to keep reading or really find out what had happened and what was going to happen. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn’t just finished something I really, really loved.

My Cousin Rachel, Daphne du Maurier
I am officially gutted that I didn’t fall in love with this. I picked it up so I could see the movie, but i just never found myself wanting to get back to the audiobook - I was perfectly happy to do my chores and walk around town without it. That for me is a sign that my audiobook just isn’t working. I’ll be giving this another go when Autumn hits and prime du Maurier weather is back again.


Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!