Monday 24 October 2016

The Deviants, CJ Skuse

Pages: 320
Publisher: Mira Ink/HQ Stories
Release Date:
22nd September 2016
Edition: UK proof, review copy

Other Titles by this Author: Pretty Bad Things, Rockaholic, Dead Romantic, Monster

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves

THEN
Ella, Max, Corey, Fallon and Zane.

The Fearless Five, inseparable as children growing up in a sleepy English seaside town. But when Max’s older sister is killed, the friendship seems to die with her.

NOW
Only Max and Ella are in touch, still best friends and a couple since they were thirteen. But Ella is hiding things- like why she's afraid to take things to the next level. And when underdog Corey is bullied, the Fearless Five are brought back together again, teaming up to wreak havoc and revenge on those who have wronged them.

But when the secrets they are keeping can no longer be kept quiet, will their fearlessness be enough to save them from themselves?

I’m a big fan of CJ Skuse’s books. I love the dark humour, the grit, the sass and basically everything really. The Deviants is all of these things and more – her best yet.

Within only a few pages I was completely sucked in. Ella is a fascinating heroine and there were so many mysteries and questions surrounding her and the secret she’s hiding. I was on her side from the get go. But that’s not to say she’s a flawless character. She isn’t, and no one in this book is. It’s always a breath of fresh air to read about flawed, teenage teenagers in YA and the Fearless Five are definitely that. They make mistakes, keep secrets they shouldn’t, lie and hurt those they love.

CJ tackles lots of important, serious topics in The Deviants, but always with grace and sensitivity, but more importantly – total YA realness. The Fearless Five come face to face with grief, disability, bullying and more and it never felt like too much. For me, one of the most important things discussed in the novel was sex and consent. It was frank and honest in a way that I think lots of YA should be but often skirts around. Teens, YAs and even those in adulthood need to know what consent is and how to talk about sex with someone you want to do it with. I was cheering as these characters were having these conversations, and getting angry when the wrong approach to sex and consent was clearly, obviously shown. Go CJ!

There are no punches pulled throughout The Deviants. The final third of the novel is shock after shock and I could not put it down. I'd only planned to read about 50 pages but raced through just over 100 in one go – I had to know how it was all going to play out. And the ending broke my heart a little. It was clever, emotional and completely unexpected. I loved it.

The Deviants is a shocking, powerful and compelling page-turner from CJ Skuse and I want to press it into everyone’s hands. Completely brilliant.

Thanks to Mira Ink/HQ Stories for the review copy.

Sophie 

1 comment:

  1. I've just been thinking what an I going to read next, the Deviants I think now has this spot! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!