Friday 23 September 2016

My Lady Jane, Brodi Ashton; Jodi Meadows; Cynthia Hand

Pages: 416
Publisher: Walker
Release Date: 1st September 2016
Edition: UK paperback, review copy

A comical, fantastical and witty re-imagining of the Tudor world, perfect for fans of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Lady Jane Grey, sixteen, is about to be married to a total stranger - and caught up in an insidious plan to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But that’s the least of Jane’s problems. She's about to become Queen of England. Like that could go wrong.

I couldn’t have loved My Lady Jane any more than I did – sass, wit, humour and a whole lot of fun. Perfect!

This is an alternative history that’s really quite alternative. We follow Kind Edward IV and Lady Jane Grey along the recorded path (sort of) for a while, but when we diverge, we really diverge. I loved the twist Ashton, Meadows and Hand put on the story, especially how strong their presence at the narrators was – it could have come across as really heavy handed but I loved it.

The magic and sense of humour in My Lady Jane could easily have become ridiculous, but it definitely erred on the side of brilliantly ridiculous for me. I laughed aloud on nearly every page and I was always surprised by what happened next. I did find that it really brought out my inner history nerd and I often found myself googling what really happened and researching bits and bobs that caught my interest. I now know two versions of Jane, Edward and G’s stories – and I definitely prefer this one.

My Lady Jane has jumped straight to my 2016 favourites and I’m really, really hoping these three write together again very soon. Please?

Thanks to Walker for the review copy.

Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!