Friday 24 April 2015

Completely Cassidy: Accidental Genius, Tamsyn Murray

Pages: 224
Publisher: Usborne
Release Date: 1st March 2015
Edition: UK e-book, purchased

Other Titles by this Author: My So-Called Afterlife, My So-Called Haunting, My So-Called Phantom Lovelife, Snug as a Bug, Stunt Bunny: Showbiz Sensation, Tour Troubles, Rabbit Racer, Medal Mayhem

Meet Cassidy. With her embarrassing dad, pregnant mum, loser brother and knicker-chewing dog, she’s almost invisible in her family. So she’s hoping Year 7 is her time to shine, especially, since a test proved she’s Gifted & Talented. The only problem is she picked her answers at random. Btu surely the school wouldn’t make a mistake about her genius?

I was in the middle of reading All the Rage by Courtney Summers and I had to put it down and switch to something a little lighter, a little sweeter and a whole lot more fun – Accidental Genius hit the spot!

I devoured this in one sitting. I zoomed through it in just over an hour and yet I still came out the other side feeling like I had really got to know Cassie and her friends and family. They’re all a little mad but each character is distinct and lovable and I loved the interactions between them and Cassie, particularly her family. Those with siblings know exactly how Cassie feels about her older brother, Liam – contempt mostly. The bicker and tease each other relentlessly, but when it counts, they’ve got your back. Briefly. It was the same with her BFFs, Molly and Shenice. Their friendship was genuine and warm and full of the natural ups and downs that occur when one of them goes a little crazy over your aforementioned big brother…

With pain in the butt brothers, falling out with friends and the imminent arrival of twin siblings, you wouldn’t think Cassie had any more room to worry about anything else, but she’s also just about to start secondary school. In a surprising turn of events, Cassidy becomes a Gifted & Talented girl and joins the school quiz team and, bonus, the coolest, cutest guy in Year Seven is on the team too! I’m super jealous of how cool Cassie’s secondary school is. We never had anything like a quiz team or a talent contest, the only thing we had was a choir – there weren’t even proper sports teams!

Accidental Genius is sweet, fun and completely adorable and I can’t wait to read more of the Completely Cassidy series!

Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!