Monday 11 February 2013

Where's the Love? Week: The Best Kisses in YA



Now, I don’t know about you but when I’m reading a book where sexual tension between the lead characters sizzle I count down the minutes until they finally, finally kiss. But there’s a lot riding on that kiss – will it be everything it’s been built up to be? Will it spark? Or is there nothing at all compared to that time they drunk-kissed their best friend at a party?

These kisses pole-vaulted the bar for a good kiss.

Edie and Dylan (Diary of a Crush: French Kiss, Sarra Manning)

I was fairly young and new to YA when I stumbled across a trilogy that would become one of my favourites and when Dylan kissed Edie an empty room of the Louvre I properly blushed. This is a couple who could set fire to water with their kisses.

Then we were both reaching for each other and Dylan had backed me against the wall and was kissing me hard. Harder than he’d ever kissed me before. But I was kissing him back with just as much fervour. His hands were under my denim jacket and I wasn’t even freaking out about where they were going because my hands were tight around his waist. I was aware of so many things. Of the sleeping security guard. Of the hum of the lights and the faint whir of the air conditioning. Of Dylan’s heart beating really fast. And the feel of his body as he pressed me against the wall. Of the way I was standing on tiptoe so he could reach my mouth. And especially of the way our mouths clung together and the feel of his tongue against of mine and the faint scrape of his teeth as he nibbled my bottom lip.

Rose and Dimitri (Vampire Academy, Richelle Mead)

In my favourite vampire series EVER come one of my favourite couples and one that has caused me the most agony over the years. There were times when they ripped my heart and others when they caused it to race. I had a hard time narrowing down which kiss to choose so I decided to go with book one where their chemistry only continued to strengthen.

Releasing my wrists, he moved his hand sup my arms, sliding slowly across my skin. Holding me in his dark, hungry gaze, he pulled me to him, pressing me right up to his body. One of his hands moved up the back of my neck, twining his fingers in my hair and tipping my face up to his. He brought his lips down, barely brushing them against mine.
    Swallowing, I asked again, “Do you think I’m pretty?”
    He regarded me with utter seriousness, like he always did. “I think you’re beautiful.”
    “Beautiful?”
    “You are so beautiful it hurts me sometimes.”
    His lips moved to mine, gentle at first, and then hard and hungry. His kiss consumed me. His hands on my arms slid down, down my hips, down to the edge of my dress. He gathered up the fabric in his hands and began pushing it up my legs. I melted into his touch, into his kiss and the way it burned against my mouth. his hands kept sliding up and up, until he’d pulled the dress over my head and tossed it on the floor.

Sydney and Adrian (The Golden Lily, Richelle Mead)

Another entry for Richelle Mead as she is really, really good at hot and steamy kisses and when Adrian is involved, well, phew. This was a kiss that Richelle Mead made us wait for for a long time. But boy was it worth it. It only got better between them in The Indigo Spell.

He reached out and pulled me to him, one hand on my waist and the other behind my neck. He tipped my head up and lowered his lips to mine. I closed my eyes and melted as my whole body was consumed in that kiss. I was nothing. I was everything. Chills ran over my skin and fire burned inside me. His body pressed closer to mine, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. His lips were warmer and softer than anything I could have ever imagined, yet fierce and powerful at the same time. Mine responded hungrily, and I tightened my hold on him. His fingers slid down the back of my neck, tracing its shape, and every place they touched was electric.

Alex and Brittany (Perfect Chemistry, Simone Elkeles)

Now this is a kiss! Alex is probably one of the sexiest boys in YA - he’s Mexican-America, has tattoos and is a total bad boy – what more could you want? And this kiss, their first, is after some serious sexual tension has built up and his soft spot for Brittany really comes through here – I love it. It’s also the start of one of my favourite relationships. I think they’re perfect for each other.

I take over control as soon as she tilts her head. Our lips touch for the briefest moment before I lace my fingers in her hair and keep kissing her soft and gentle. I cup her cheek in my palm, feeling her baby-soft skin against my rough fingers. My body urges me to take advantage of the situation, but my brain (the one inside my head) keeps me in check.
    A satisfied sigh escapes Brittany’s mouth, as if she’s content to stay in my arms forever.
    I brush the tip of my tongue against her lips, enticing her to open her mouth. She tentatively meets my tongue with her own. Our mouths and tongues mingle in a slow, erotic dance until the sound of the front door opening makes her jerk away.

So as you can see, I pay a lot of attention to fictional kisses between couples I ship far too hard. There are so many others I could have mentioned but I found the same couples and the same books cropping up for each post, so I’ve tried to be fair!

Do you think I missed the best YA kiss? Would you have chosen a different kiss from one of the couples I picked? What’s your favourite?

Let me know in the comments!

Sophie 

1 comment:

  1. I really loved the first time Kaylee and Todd kissed in the Soul Screamers series. That was building up for ages and it just made my heart happy that it had happened.

    I thought of another kiss while I was writing the above out and then I lost it. Damn.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!