Sunday 11 September 2011

In My Mailbox 96

This meme was started by the fabulous Kristi who was inspired by Alea. Check out their blogs for more information. All summaries are from the book jackets.

I am going back to university tomorrow (a little early as I miss my friends) and so, once again, posts and reviews may slow down a little. I will do my very best to keep up two/three posts a week as I have over summer, but no promises! IMM posts will always be sporadic as most of my books go home. 

For review:

The Other Life – Suzanne Winnacker

3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since I’d seen daylight. One fifth of my life.

Sherry has spent one fifth of her life in an underground bunker. It’s been 3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since she’s seen daylight. And now Sherry and her family have run out of food, forcing her and her father to leave the safety of the bunker and venture out into the unknown.

The city of LA is an eerie wasteland, buildings have been destroyed and great cracks have appeared in the highways. No noise, no people, nothing.

However, nesting in deserted buildings and roming the streets at night are the ghastly and frightening Weepers – humans mutated by a virulent strain of rabies. With their skin shedding from their mutated bodies and their eyes weeping milky tears, these repugnant creatires have begun to hunt humans.

When her dad is snatched by the Weepers, Sherry finds solace with the gorgeous but troubled Joshua, who takes her to Safe Haven, a refuge for survivors trying to make a life amongst the wreckage. As they fight to rescue Sherry’s dad and struggle to stay alive, Sherry can’t shake the growing feeling that someone – or something – is watching them. Are the Weepers the only threat they face, or are there greater forces at work...?

After seeing this in a few people’s IMM’s last week I started lusting after it and then it came through the door on Monday! Thanks, Usborne!

The Goddess Test – Aimee Carter

Every girl who has taken the test has died.
Now it’s Kate’s turn.

When her mother’s dying wish is to return to her home town, Kate’s willing to do anything to make it come true. Even if it means startinh at a new school with no friends – and no hope.

Then she meets Henry. Dark, tortured and mesmerising, Henry offers Kate a reprieve. She thinks he’s crazy. Yet when he brings a dead girl back to life right in front of Kate’s eyes she’s not so sure any more...

Claiming to be Hades, God of the Underworld, Henry’s prepared to make Kate a deal.

He’ll keep her mother alive whil Kate tries to pass seven tests.

If she suceeds, she’ll become a goddess – and Henry’s bride. If she fails she’ll never see her mother again...

Thanks, Mira! I’m really looking forward to this as I love Greek mythology.

Mister Creecher – Chris Priestly

Can a monster and a boy ever really be friends?

1818. London.

Billy is a street urchin, pickpocket and petty thief. Mr Creecher is a monstrous giant of a man who terrifies all he meets. Their relationship begins as pure convenience. But a bond swiftly develops between these two misfits as their bloody journey takes them ever northwards on the trail of their target...Victor Frankenstein.

I love Frankenstein so I’m very excited to read this. Thanks, Bloomsbury!

Sophie

13 comments:

  1. The Other Life and Mister Creecher sound realllyyyy interesting! and The Goddess Test I want SO bad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! You got The Goddess Test! I've been looking forward to that one for a few months now. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all sound great, I hope you enjoy them!

    My IMM: http://bookhi.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-my-mailbox-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read The Goddess Test, I hope you enjoy it as much as I hope to! My IMM: http://www.almostgrownup.net/2011/09/11/in-my-mailbox-91111/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, The Other Life sounds really good! I can't wait for it to come out in the US. :)
    I really enjoyed The Goddess Test; hopefully you do, too! Happy reading! :)
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Other Life looks great.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-vain.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great IMM. The Other Life and The Goddess Test sound super.

    Here's my first IMM: http://krweinert.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-my-mail-box-001.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh fab books. I am loving the sound of Mister Creecher. Happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew I'd forgotten at least one book on my IMM the other day. The Other Life! I hope you enjoy all of your books this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so jealous, The Other Life sounds so good! I hope you enjoy it.

    My IMM: http://rachelreader.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-my-mailbox-17.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!