Wednesday 9 March 2011

Raising Demons - Rachel Hawkins

Raising Demons – Rachel Hawkins

Pages: 359
Publisher: Simon Pulse (Simon and Schuster)
Release Date: 1st April 2011

Other Titles in this series: Hex Hall

SPOILER ALERT! THE SUMMARY AND REVIEW FOR RAISING DEMONS CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR HEX HALL.

Sophie Mercer’s first term at Hex Hall was quite eventful. First, her evil grandmother’s ghost haunted her every move, then her best friend was accused of murder and, finally, Archer Cross (aka The Boy Of Her Dreams) turned out to be an undercover demon hunter; which would have been fine if Sophie hadn’t been the demon he was hunting...

Sophie is hoping for a quieter summer, but as she’s spending it with her dad – who just happens to be Head of The Council of Prodigium – at the headquarters of all-things-magical, that’s not going to happen. And, as she struggles with her new demon powers, Sophie finds herself surrounded by dark magic and conspiracies. The only way things could get more complicated would be if Archer Cross appeared again. But he wouldn’t...would he?

I loved Rachel Hawkins’ first book, Hex Hall, a lot. So much so that it was one of my favourites from last year and gave me high hopes for Raising Demons. I was not disappointed.

Sophie is a brilliant heroine. She is funny, clever and very snarky. Some of the things that she says and does are hilarious and I would love to have to cheek to pull them off so effectively. There are so many things that make me want to be her friend: Sophie’s relationship with Jenna is heart-warming, her learning to get on with her Dad is very sweet and her weariness of her demon heritage was realistic and genuine.

As well as Sophie’s awesomeness, you’ve got Cal and Archer. Could there BE two hotter guys in her life?! Seriously yummy. I wasn’t too bothered about Cal in Hex Hall but we saw so much more of him in Raising Demons and I found myself falling for him every time he popped up. I think he may even have eclipsed Archer for me as I was a little wary of Archer and he didn't play as major a role in Raising Demons as he did in Hex Hall.

With Sophie’s arrival in England, complete with very English terms and traditions that were employed by Rachel Hawkins and made me smile to myself, there came to amazing library of Thorne Abbey. How much do I want to stay there for a while?! There were also new characters introduced. The two that made the biggest impact on me were Nick and Daisy who live at the Council Headquarters and made me suspicious from the beginning; they unnerved me with their creepiness.

After Raising Demons’ explosive ending and rather evil cliffhanger, I’m dying for the next instalment in this addictive series. Hurry, please!

Sophie

3 comments:

  1. Yay, great review - so glad you enjoyed! I want book 3 NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read so much praise for this series! Your great review is definitely tempting me to read it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! new GFC follower! love the blog and i'm excited to read more of it! =]
    this book cover is so gorgeous!!
    follow me?!
    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!